Thursday, June 29, 2006

UDG Record Bags

I've got two record bags, a 50/50 non-UDG one made out of strong plastic-like material, which can hold about 80 records, and a UDG trolley bag which can hold around 65 records. I also have a smaller bag to take around 20 records when I need just a bit more than my trolley bag can handle.


My dream-bag is the flip-front/slanted UDG bag which can hold around 90 records but also lets you loosen the front of the bag so you have room to look through your records. I saw another DJ (Corey from Vanilla Room in Sydney) use this and it looked awesome! It's cool to be able to fit in 90 records and be able to flip through them too. But of course carrying this will be a headache as it doesn't have any wheels.


My most used bag is a 50/50 one like the one shown on the picture on the left, but it doesn't have any padding, and it's not a UDG bag. Nonetheless, it does allow you go take the top off, and put some records in the top half and the rest in the bottom half. As useful as this sounds, it's not that great, as half the records that fit in this bag can't be placed nicely without them slipping and falling, which makes going through the records a hassle. I prefer to just take out a few records and place them against a wall -- much easier to browse through them than when they're in the top half of the 50/50 bag! Like the flip-front bag, this one doesn't come with wheels either so it's a bit of a hassle to use a separate trolley (mine doesn't have a strap like the one in the picture).


My travel companion -- the UDG trolley bag is currently my favourite. The 50/50 bag seems to be wearing out a bit -- it doesn't close properly without a fair amount of force, which forces me to give more attention to my trolley bag! This one is amazingly robust. I've dragged it all the way from one of San Fransisco's City train stations down to Pier 39 and all the way back, which is a 1.5 hour walk, and it was dragged on all sorts of surfaces without any problems. The wheels are rollerblade wheels so you can give it all the torture you want without causing any damage. The only reason I didn't use this bag too often was because the capacity is only 65, but otherwise it's a great bag -- definitely my favourite travel companion (65 is enough for most of my overseas/interstate gigs).


Because of the low capacity of my travel companion, I also use a small bag to take a few extra records. It looks nothing like the one in the pic on the left though!! The only problem with this bag is that it is not meant for records, so I can't fit many in, and the record covers get damaged a bit because of the zipper. So I think the best move for me would be to get a flip-front bag and to sell off my 50/50 bag, or for now, to just get a bag like the one on the left picture, until I can afford a flip-front. Maybe by the time I can afford a flip-front, they'll also have a flip-front trolley version -- the best of both worlds!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This site is one of the best I have ever seen, wish I had one like this.
»