Saturday, June 24, 2006

Guitarist on Bourke Street

There's this spanish (?) guitarist on Bourke Street, close to HMV that plays some really nice music. I've seen him on and off for over two years -- he sometimes playes the lead guitar alone, with some background guitar music through his speakers (12" horn), and at other times he plays with one or two more guitarists in co-ordination. Today he was playing with a drummer and some background music. I was watching him for about half an hour (why that long? I was waiting until my fiance finished trying out some wedding dresses). His fingers move so fast, and he is able to play such a wide variety of classical music effortlessly... impressive!

What caught my eye was how he started off with no audience, and slowly started gathering an audience that ended up buying about 7 of his CDs in that half hour! I wish I could attract people so effectively with my DJing! I think the problem is that I don't have anything special to offer. Sure I can do some long mixes and play some good music in an appropriate sequence, but nothing good and/or different enough to stand out. I guess it's all about learning and practicing!

No comments: