Monday, July 04, 2005

Beach Party at Monterey, California!

I visited the Monterey county located in California for a conference last month. On the way there and on the way back I also managed to find some time to visit the wonderful San Fransisco and the huge New York!

Despite visiting Times Square in New York and a Broadway and Pier 39 (from where you can hop on a tour to Alcatraz!) in San Fransisco, the highlight of my visit to the states was a beach party organised by the conference committee. The party had some nice activities (e.g. table tennis), the scenery was great (I mean the beach), the food was amazing, , the people were very friendly, and the DJ was one of a kind! I spent most of my time at the party chatting with the DJ.

The DJ (I forget his name) was dressed for the occasion (look in the photos below for a guy with a big hat riding the waves!) and always wore a big smile. He had a huge CD collection and boy did he know his music! He didn't beatmatch but it seemed to me like he was experienced enough to remember the tune of any track in his collection. This is probably why he didn't use any headphones! The equipment he used were; a rack-mount (I think American DJ) CD players, a very sophisticated mixer, and what seemed to be 12" horn speakers and a subwoofer.

The venue was right next to the beach, and there were a few open fires outside on the sand with people sitting around them, chatting, eating, drinking and even burning their marshmellows in the fire! A friend told me that Americans always burn marshmellows before eating them, but I find this hard to believe! Anyway it was a fantastic environment for people to, among other things, kick back, relax and breathe in some fresh sea breeze, whilst listening to some good music!

No comments: