Monday, November 13, 2006

I Quit!

Last night was my last set at Hush, as I decided to quit. The owner was a bit too much to handle. So although the rest of the staff (management & bar staff) were pretty cool, there's no point in staying there as I really can't put up with the owner.

Besides deciding to quit an hour or so into my set, the remaining 4 hours of my set wasn't too bad really. There were quite a few people at the bar and most of them were chatting and listening to some good House music. My bro. and quite a few of his friends came over too, so it was a nice vibe. Later I started getting a few RnB and commercial House requests, and since it was my last gig there, I decided to give them what they wanted!! I played some cheese for about 30 mins, and while I was packing up to leave, I played an RnB CD that I saw lying around (which happened to be a non-stop mega-mix).

There was an interesting guy who came up to me and started telling me about how I should play music that suits the crowd. But this time, I gave him a good piece of my mind, which included "you want RnB, someone else wants trance, and someone else wants rock -- how do you expect me to meet satisfy everyone's musical tastes", "this is real House music, what you hear on the radio is not, so learn to appreciate it", "House music is not necessarily about packing up a dance floor -- some people like to have a cocktail and listen to some good music. So an empty dance floor doesn't mean people aren't having fun", and "a part of what I'm doing here is trying to educate people on what House music is all about". Any other day I would have kept quiet, but today I realised that I might as well let it all out!

Anyway it turned out to be an interesting conversation in the end. He told me that he knows a bit about House music, and said that he feels that it's all about making the bar your own "house", and treating the bar area like your own kitchen, the fridge like your own fridge, etc., and impressing the people in your "house", with some chilled out music, while they chat to some cocktails on the balcony. A nice thought!

Overall I enjoyed my set. I played a lot of good soulful House (e.g. 'Soul Sympohony' - Chuck Love, 'Gonna make it' - Kaskade, 'Trust me' - JT Donaldson, 'On the line' - Mark Farina remix, 'Baby fever' - Bryan Jones, 'Love could be' - Town and Country) that went well with the vibe and my mood at the time. As far as Sunday Lounge goes, we'll probably start it again at some other bar, sometime soon. Should be fun!!

No comments: