Thursday, October 05, 2006

ParkLife 2006 Melbourne

The wait was worth it! ParkLife turned out to be the best event I've been to. Everything was perfectly organised -- the location, the DJs, the date, the time. Val and I got there by 1.30PM, and we went to the 'Water' tent, where Mark Farina would be playing.

Before Farina, I got to see some local talent -- Derek K. and John Course, although their music wasn't really my cup of tea. Derek K. played very hard electro-ish tunes, and John Course played his regular, commercial tracks. The tent started getting very packed when John Course came on, and it stayed packed for Mark Farina.

Mark Farina played a good House set -- the longest set of the event (2 hrs). His mixing was flawless and it looked like he was having a good time. The tent was packed and everyone was dancing to some good (real) house music, which was fantastic!!

After Farina, I went and checked out Peter Hook (New Order) at the 'Air' (open air)stage. Peter Hook turned out to be a bit dissapointing. It's not the fact that he played some cheese that was dissapointing, but the fact that he couldn't mix. He had plenty of audience interaction though, which I think was all he had going for him.

Next I saw Cut Chemist at the 'Earth' tent, which was the largest tent and also where John So (Melbourne Mayor) had given a short speech on the same day (videos of speech are doing well on YouTube!). Cut Chemist was impressive -- at one point he seemed to be scratching a record with his elbow (see the 10 min ParkLife video on this blog)!

I couldn't get to see MixMaster Mike or Krafty Kuts, who I heard were very impressive, but it was still an excellent day out. See the ITM thread on ParkLife for more reviews and pics.

No comments: