Monday, April 10, 2006

Should the bar manager manage your music?

A recent incident got me thinking -- should the bar manager tell you what music to play?

When I first started DJing, the bar manager used to always tell me what to play. I found it a bit annoying at first, but the constant nagging eventually helped me become a better DJ. Most importantly, back then the manager knew more about House music than I did, so in retrospect, it helped. But I think such a situation where the manager has to keep nagging the DJ shouldn't generally arise. It was the case with me because I was hired as a RnB DJ and then asked to play House!

Now that I know what music to play, and since I've been playing for a while, I find that I don't need to be told what/how to play -- putting up with the crowd when I get stupid requests is difficult enough! If the manager wants to give a suggestion based on past experience, based on what they think of the current vibe, or based on music requests from the crowd, I'd be happy to hear it, and I'll possibly implement it. But demanding a specific sequence of tracks/sub-genres, or specific tracks, is going too far. If that's what they want, I think a Jukebox, or iPod connected to the mixer is what they're looking for.

No comments: