Saturday, April 22, 2006

Deep House @ Inck

In an effort to get to know the tracks I've never, or rarely played before, I played mostly the "Side B" tracks in my record collection, at my set tonight at Inck Lounge. In the first half of my set, the "Side B" tracks were mainly deep House tunes, and the second half was funkier. In the end, I wasn't very satisfied with my set, mainly because I didn't enjoy the set as much as I would have if I played quirky Chicago House, but also because I was mixing tracks I've never heard of or remember. It was a worthwhile exercise though, and I can see myself doing this occasionally to make best use of the money spent on Vinyl!

I realised after my set that I have a lot of Funky and Vocal House Vinyl at home that I don't use anymore. I bought these before converting to a US House purist! I think it's time I either sold them to a second hand Vinyl store such as Collector's Corner on Swanston Street, or it's time I started playing those tracks in my sets, for variety. The problem with the latter is that these tracks are fairly different to the type of House music I play now, and what people expect me to play. Therefore these tracks will only grace the decks on a quiet Friday evening at Inck, or in a set long enough for me to need all the Vinyl I've got!

It was good to catch up with some friends after my set. We headed off home an hour and half later, after enjoying a few drinks and jokes. I think this was the most satisfying part of the night for me.

No comments: