Friday, March 02, 2007

RMIT Orientation (Bourke St. Campus)

The Bourke St. Orientation was held on the fourth floor of the Bourke St. building, so the location in itself was a unique experience for me! The fourth floor had a 'courtyard', which was like a rooftop area surrounded by buildings, and the food stalls and information stalls were all somehow nicely arranged around the courtyard so that people had enough space to move around. Not a lot of people turned up, but there were enough people for an enjoyable set.

The DJ equipment and the PA system was provided by Tim Nixon, a Future DJ 2003 Victorian finalist from Swinburne Uni, who now runs his own mobile DJing/equipment hiring business. The speakers were Opera Live, and I think they had 300W RMS of power. The rest of the equipment were 2 x Technics turntables, 2 x CDJ200s, and a DJM 500 mixer. The speakers were too powerful for that enclosed space though, so we couldn't put it to full use!

Unfortunately, I didn't get to play at the City Orientation, which I was really looking forward to, because Tim and myself had been double booked to play at the same time by mistake. Anyway, at least I got to play at the Brunswick and Bourke St. Orientations -- the latter being the one I enjoyed most.

And here's the video I promised. I'm the first DJ and the guy you'll see coming up and chatting with me wanted RnB, which I (kindly) rejected. The second DJ is Jeromy, who works with Tim Nixon.

No comments: