Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Mixing is Getting Easier

At Hush Bar there are a couple of TVs facing different directions, and also a big projection on the wall. The DJ booth doesn't face the projection, but it faces one of the small TV screens almost directly. During long gigs (i.e. 4+ hours) and when the place is pretty empty, I usually find myself watching TV and mixing at the same time. I've so far watched a full episode of Prehistoric Park, 60 minutes and even Rambo -- First Blood! Documentaries and action movies are fun to watch without sound, but some other shows like CSI can be frustrating!

Considering I'm mixing on a turntable that needs servicing, a mixer that leaks on the CD channels, no monitor (hence a lag between the headphones and the closest speaker), I reckon mixing while watching TV means I find mixing fairly easy. I still need to learn how to pitch ride properly though. The only reason I'm not making much of an effort in learning this is because I can quickly adjust the pitch of a track by touching the spindle, but adjusting the pitch by pitch riding will take longer.

No comments: