Monday, August 14, 2006

Best Nightclubs/Bar at the Snow

The word "Nightclub" up in the snow doesn't seem to mean the same as "Nightclub" in Melbourne. In the snow, all the "Nightclubs" I've been to are multi-purpose -- a restaurant in the morning, a coffee shop in the afternoons, a restaurant at night and sometimes a night club late at night, depending on who's playing. For example, Swindlers @ Hotham is a restaurant most of the time, and a bar at other times, but becomes a nightclub when there's some good DJs playing or when there's a good planned night happening. Same with The General @ Hotham.

Here's the best (in terms of live/dj entertainment) "Nightclubs" up in the snow:


@ Hotham

Swindlers Bar : Nice big venue, awesome views, and the best balcony I've seen. Top DJs play here, including John Course a few days after I played there last. Great sound system. This place can transform into a good nightclub if the need arises.

The General : Again a nice venue, not as big as Swindlers, but with some really really nice views of the mountains. This is where I took a picture of a pool table on a snow covered hill (see my 2004 Hotham pics). Again top DJs have played here. Great sound system.

@ DinnerPlain

DinnerPlain Hotel : More of a bar. They don't have DJ equipment so I had to take my own the last two times I played there. But, they have some good speakers, great disco lights and a nice smoke machine! Lots of pool tables around which gives it a very layed back feel.

@ Mt. Buller

Kooroora Bistro : Heard from Mt. Buller resort office that this is the best place for a party. The Mt. Buller website also says that this is the biggest "Nightclub". Kooroora always seems busy -- probably busier than all of the other places I've mentioned because (I think) Mt. Buller generally gets more people in than the other resorts.

@ Falls Creek

The Man Hotel : Kid Kenobi played there -- the #1 DJ in Australia. Can't be such a bad place then! Definitely want to give this place a go on my next visit to the snow -- which will have to be to Falls Creek!

No comments: